Security | Threat Detection | Cyberattacks | DevSecOps | Compliance

Open Source

CRYSTALRAY: Inside the Operations of a Rising Threat Actor Exploiting OSS Tools

The Sysdig Threat Research Team (TRT) continued observation of the SSH-Snake threat actor we first identified in February 2024. New discoveries showed that the threat actor behind the initial attack expanded its operations greatly, justifying an identifier to further track and report on the actor and campaigns: CRYSTALRAY. This actor previously leveraged the SSH-Snake open source software (OSS) penetration testing tool during a campaign exploiting Confluence vulnerabilities.

Managing Open Source Costs: The CISOs Guide to Efficient and Effective Security Operations

Open source software offers numerous benefits, including flexibility and cost savings, but managing, maintaining, and scaling these tools can become a significant burden for CISOs. As open source solutions proliferate within your organization, the associated costs and complexities can spiral out of control. This webinar will address the challenge of managing open source costs and how LimaCharlie can provide the efficiencies needed to keep these expenses in check.

Quantifying the Probability of Flaws in Open Source

Jay Jacobs and I recently delivered an RSA presentation called Quantifying the Probability of Flaws in Open Source. Since many people didn’t get a chance to see it, I thought I’d summarize some of the findings here for posterity. The question we investigated was simple, at least conceptually: what are the red flags of an open-source repository? Are there characteristics of a given open source library that would reliably indicate it was safer than others?

CVE-2024-6387: Critical Remote Code Execution Vulnerability in OpenSSH

On July 1, 2024, OpenSSH released fixes for CVE-2024-6387, a vulnerability in OpenSSH’s server (sshd) on glibc-based Linux systems allowing for potential Remote Code Execution (RCE). OpenSSH is a widely-used suite of secure networking tools based on the SSH protocol, providing encryption for secure communication and file transfers, and is essential for remote management on Unix systems. CVE-2024-6387 is a signal handler race condition that allows unauthenticated Remote Code Execution (RCE) as root.

Quick start guide for using Calico policies for Calico Open Source users

Calico policies are a way to enforce network security at the pod level. This blog post will provide a comprehensive overview of Calico policies for Calico OS (Open Source) users. We will cover the basics of Calico policies, including what they are, how they work, and how to use them. We will also provide best practices for using Calico policies and examples of how they can be used in real-world scenarios.

Quick Guide to Popular AI Licenses

Only about 35 percent of the models on Hugging Face bear any license at all. Of those that do, roughly 60 percent fall under traditional open source licenses. But while the majority of licensed AI models may be open source, some very large projects–including Midjourney, BLOOM, and LLaMa—fall under that remaining 40 percent category. So let’s take a look at some of the top AI model licenses on Hugging Face, including the most popular open source and not-so-open source licenses.

How we differentiate ARMO Platform from Open Source Kubescape

In August 2021 we launched Kubescape with a mission to make Kubernetes security open source, simple, and available for everyone, even non-security engineers. Since then we have been working on adding new capabilities to Kubescape, while building a strong community around it. The acceptance of Kubescape by the CNCF, as a sandbox project, was an important milestone for ARMO’s open-source journey with Kubescape.

DIY guide: 'Build vs buy' your OSS code scanning and app security toolkit

You’re confident in your development chops—confident enough to know the apps you’ve built aren’t completely free of security and configuration flaws. You’ve also researched the deep ecosystem of scanning tools available and perhaps got overwhelmed by the sheer volume of choice. What’s the right “portfolio” of open-source app security tools to identify vulnerabilities in your dependencies, Infrastructure as Code (IaC) configurations, containers, and more?

Securing open source infrastructure - Log all the things

The last time we wrote about open source software (OSS) for security, we explored how community-driven innovation addresses security problems stemming from the rapid pace of business-driven technological advancements. We posed the question: Can open source security solutions adequately secure and protect the OSS that modern businesses depend on?